[muglo] Cheap PCs

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:03:20 -0400

I can see a pretty compelling argument for Winblows PCs in some conditions.

I saw a MDG (reasonably well known Canadian clone maker) 2.4 GHz PIV, 256 MB
no-name DDR RAM, 40 GB HD, 17" monitor (el cheapo), Lexmark
scanner/copier/printer, NIC, router, Windows XP for $900 CDN all inclusive!

You can't get a 1.5 GHz G4 Mac (roughly comparable speed-wise) for that
price *anywhere* (or, at that speed, for that matter).

Speed-wise Apple is on the losing end of the stick at the moment. Only with
its dual-processors can it compete, and even then you pay an extreme
premium.

For raw CPU power I see absolutely no reason to buy Apple -- the only major
draw Apple has is OS X. If Apple hadn't gone OS X we'd be in the same boat
as Amiga users were in the early 90s and would have to (grudgingly) live in
the Windows world!

Eric.