[muglo] Re: CarbonLib 1.6 and 1.5

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:44:51 -0500

At 7:24 PM -0500 2/28/04, Leith Peterson wrote:

>Does anyone happen to know if CarbonLib 1.6 can interfere with
>printer functions?

I don't know nuttin' about this and can't remember much about OS 9
stuff, but here goes, FWIW.

>   My Brother printer HL-1240, with an iBook/OS
>9.2.2 was working fine until I upgraded to CarbonLib 1.6.

Did you try turning off the CarbonLib extension and then seeing if
the printer works? Just curious - this might help confirm that there
is a conflict, right?

>   I did this
>in order to use Internet Explorer 5.1.7, which said it required it.

[Why an app that is designed to run in OS 8 and 9 would require
CarbonLib, which is an extension that permits the use of carbonized
(native OS X) apps, is something I don't understand, but...]

>I've scanned the Apple site and didn't see anything mentioned re a
>problem in this area, [..]

It's often helpful to Google a Mac problem. There are lots of
websites that carry info about Mac problems before the "official
version" of the issue appears on Apple's site.

>Also, if people think there is a conflict and I should go back to
>Carbon Lib 1.5, can someone pls show me the link on the Apple site?

I see a link for version 1.4 at Apple.
<http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Other_System/>

Also, I note that there are download areas (university sites, etc) for 1.5.
<http://www.gla.ac.uk/~gwm1h/macos9/>
for example.

  HTH - Mary