[muglo] Was: CarbonLib 1.6 and 1.5 Now: Google

  • From: Barry Takayesu <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:12:54 -0500

Mary said:

>It's often helpful to Google a Mac problem. There are lots of
>websites that carry info about Mac problems before the "official
>version" of the issue appears on Apple's site.

One area of Google that many are not familiar with is Google>Groups.
So when you go into the Google window, it defaults to the Google Web.
Instead click on the "Groups" button and key in your defining search
terms. This will get you into the usenet chats which are often much
more valuable and truthful than the websites.

An example: let's say that you are watching an infomercial on
television. The product guarantees that it will help you lose weight;
or cook your vegetables, roast and dessert beautifully all at the
same time; or you can make a fortune or buy a house with no
downpayment. If you inquire in the normal Google site,  you will get
sites from the manufacture, dealers, wholesalers etc., and they will
always expound about the wonders of their offerings.

However, if you inquire in the Google>Groups, you will find
discussions by people like those on Muglo who will give a candid
reply/review on the subject. I always look and click at the end of
each paragraph on the Google>Group which gives the number of articles
on the thread. If there is one article in the thread, it is possible
to be a "shill" who boasts about the product or maybe it is someone
who has posed a question but no one has answered, but if there are
multiple articles, then there is a better chance that ordinary
consumers are replying and there is a lively discussion or debate.
Barry Takayesu
Prestige Print & Graphics
10592 Wellington Road * St.Thomas, ON  Canada  N5P 3T1
(519) 631-8800 * Fax (519) 631-6316
prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx