[mswindowsxp] Re: Windows StartUp Music

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 05:41:00 -0800

  I think the sharing of the IRQ is very likely.  Here's a
scenario - let's say that the floppy cable is too short and
so it doesn't make contact correctly (like yours was) - when
the computer is booted and Windows is installed then the
sound card sees the 'free' IRQ for the floppy drive and
that gets assigned to it.  Later on you 'fix' the floppy
cable and presto you have the problem you are seeing.
  I can't explain it being in any way associated with the
windows update - I know that you know that the problem first
started at that time.  But that may be a coincidence.
  You might report the problem and symptoms to M$ in an
email and see what they say ...

  In order to get your computer running correctly you might
want to do the following:

  1) Disable (in the BIOS) or remove (if it is not built into the
     mobo) the sound card.
  2) Uninstall the drivers for the sound card.
  3) Cable up the floppy drive and get it running correctly.
  4) Enable/reinstall the sound card
  5) Reinstall the drivers for the sound card.