[mswindowsxp] Windows StartUp Music.

  • From: Ted Cotton <tabcot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:18:43 +1300

Hi, all.
Re. my intermittent Wake Up saga:

Last Thursday the icons suddenly disappeared from my desktop and the machine
froze. I rebooted and after POST got the message that the boot disk was
corrupt. As this machine is still under warranty I took it back to the shop and
suggested a replacement Mainboard. This was done and now everything is running
sweetly without any intermittent switch-ons, so far. Many thanks to Joe, Jim,
Thomas and John for pointing me in the right direction.

After downloading and installing all the MS System updates when I first bought
this computer, my Windows Start-Up music became broken and distorted. According
to a memo from MS there was no "Workaround" for this common problem and their
suggestion was to turn off the sound, which I did. The technician must have
switched the sound back on when he replaced the Mainboard because when I
started my computer up yesterday morning the Start-Up music played perfectly
without a blemish. However, I discovered this morning that my floppy drive was
not working and found that the connecting lead was too short and not allowing a
plug to seat correctly. Replacing with a longer lead fixed this, but stuffed up
my start-music again!

Could this be a big clue for isolating the MS Windows Update that is
conflicting with the Start Up music?

Kind Regards,

Ted.
----