[moneytalks] Re: Printing Cheques

  • From: "Steve Jacobson" <steve.jacobson@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <moneytalks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:41:59 -0500

Gary,

Are your slips of paper emulating personal checks or the larger checks.  If you
are cutting slips to be the size of personal checks, you may need to verify
that your
printer can handle paper that small.  If the sides on your paper try move in
far enough to hold the check firmly, there is a pretty good chance that you are
all right
there.

Not all printers will print to the very edge of the paper size that is
specified.  This is particularly true of top margins.  If you are printing
checks using the regular paper
size, it is possible that Money Talks is trying to print in areas that your
printer driver thinks can't be used and generating an error message.
Usuallywhen you move in
the guides on the paper tray to use smaller paper, the guides tend to center
the paper.  In some cases, though, there is only one guide that moves.  How
does yours
work?  If your printer has a paper tray and moving the left guide moves a right
guide in as well, centering the smaller piece of paper, you will have to adjust
the
check template.  If the check is being fed with the right end first, you will
have to make certain that your printer prints in "landscape" mode.  That makes
the left
guide equivelent to a top margin so you will have to adjust the parameters on
the check template to take that into account.  When you print envelopes in
Word,
microsoft Word takes care of changing your printer's settings, but that won't
happen in this case.

Finally, although I have not seen this, it is conceivable that if your printer
doesn't support printing on something as small as a check that it may detect
that there is
paper there but that it is too small.  In some printers, the feed rollers are
too far apart to correctly feed personal checks.  In such a case, buying a pack
of larger
checks to use with your printer while still keeping the smaller checks in your
checkbook is usually possible unless your bank is a pain about such things.

In particular, making changes to the check template to be sure that all
printing occurs on the check may eliminate the "mismatched paper" message if
your printer
supports printing on checks.  Knowing more about how your printer handles paper
might help us know what else to suggest.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson