[modeleng] Re: Valve Problem

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:59:25 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Bede,

I might be wrong, but fundamentally I think there is going to need to be
some stripping down.

BUT there are four areas it could be that need stripping down - two
cylinders and two valve chests - so anything you could do to narrow the
problem down would be a good plan.

I'd avoid trying any further running until you have sorted the problem, as
if it is a lump of some clinker preventing the valve from seating onto the
port face then the more it moves, the more it could be scoring a line in
the port face.

Also I'd be tempted to make sure you fully sort the problem when you find
the cause (ie if it is clinker in the valve chest, then it will get in
there again if you don't make some kind of modification, do you have a
snifting valve for example, and does it work).

Now for checking things out:-

Do you have drain cocks fitted to the loco - if so this will make life
much easier?

If so, how about on each cylinder, unscrew the drain cocks (careful not to
shear them off). Set the loco in full forward gear, close the regulator.
Make yourself a fitting so you can pump water into where one of the drain
cock fittings was. Turn the loco wheels till the port corresponding to the
end of the cylinder where you have this fitting attached would be being
supplied with live steam. Now try pumping water into this end of the
cylinder. If I'm right - if that cylinder and valve are in good nick you
the pump should quickly become rigid indicating no leakage (well you might
get a bit) - don't pump too hard though. If water comes out of the other
drain cock hole on that cylinder or the blast-pipe, then the cylinder or
valve on that side is at fault. Try both sides of the loco to work out
which side the fault is on.

Next to work out whether it is the cylinder of the valve. On the fault
side, have your device for feeding water into one drain cock fitting
fitted, and plug the other drain cock fitting. If you now try pumping
again...if it goes rigid then the fault is the cylinder. If water starts
coming out of the blast pipe, then the valve it at fault (noting that one
could expext slight weeps as not a major problem).

What do you reckon everyone - will that likely work?

Yours,

Rich.