[modeleng] Re: Superheater trouble

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:17:05 -0600

I fill any copper tubes that I want to bend in sharp radiuses with lead.
You need to anneal the tube first of course and then fill it with molten
lead while the tube is still pretty warm.  This is to assure that no water
lurks inside the tube.  After making the bend, heat the tube until the lead
all runs out.  Make sure that no lead remains inside the tube by blowing it
out with an air gun, preferably while the tube is still above lead's melting
point.  Just make sure that the open end of the tube is shielded so you or
no one else gets a face full of melted lead. I have done this many times,
probably on all 5 of my locomotives.

Jesse the crazy REDNECK machinist in Troy, Tennessee USA

 What about the tubes-into-bronze-block approach instead of trying tiny
bends, Keith?  I think that was discussed and pictured in Martin Evan's
book.  Charles