[modeleng] Re: Renold jig chain

  • From: Jeff Dayman <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 18:00:48 -0400

When I first saw the chain jig I realized that it would be just the thing to
drill a lot of fairly accurate holes at a regular pitch distance very
quickly. This would have been mighty handy in 1941 when the brochure was
published, for building riveted construction aircraft. At the time of
course, aircraft builders were looking for any trick or technique to get
planes in the air faster than they could be shot out of it. As to the chain
making a mark on the panel, that issue could be easily overcome with a bit
of paper or masking tape laid down on the panel before placing the chain
jig.

Unless you are making a homebuilt aircraft I don't think the idea is all
that useful in the shop today, unless you can find chain of the right pitch
for rivet lines in tanks and tenders. These days with DRO's or just home
shop mills with dials on the screws, it may be just as fast to do large
patterns of holes that way. Another method I use for sheetmetal layouts is
to model the item in CAD, print it out full size, stick the print to the
metal with spray adhesive, and centre punch / centredrill / drill directly
on / through the paper centre marks.

Cheers Jeff Dayman