[modeleng] Re: Renold jig chain

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 21:49:01 +0100 (BST)

Yes, though I would suggest experimenting might be the key word:

1) If you have a piece of hardened steel chain across a piece of brass
sheet - I reckon you'd end up with some marks on the brass after you've
vibrated the chain for a couple or hours drilling holes, though I might be
wrong...depends on your requirements for the finish of the metal maybe.
From memory, aircraft gurus don't usually like marks on their panels as
the lead to cracks.

2) Does the original concept require the surface to be curved in order to
hold the chain taught against it, else it will keep being 'lifted up' by
the flutes of the drill...which would suggest it only good for aircraft
work, or for our work on occasionally curved surface, like the smokebox.
(Compare with a tightrope for example - never completely horizontal, it
always dips to the point where the acrobat is stood...if it were
completely horizontal, it can carry no vertical, or in our case clamping,
load).

It does look interesting, but I wonder if the above reasons are why
it isn't a complace fixture, as it rules it out for most work?

All the best,

Rich.