[modeleng] Re: Rails/Wheels Clearance

  • From: Pcx <pierre.courbouleix@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:15:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi again Ron,
Thank you for your reply, it's exactly what I needed. I know (now) how to
calculate this clearance. No need to convert inches to mm as I am fluent with
both systems ( this may sound strange for a french!)
Kind regards
PIerre

> Message du 20/10/04 23:22
> De : "Ron Head"
> A : modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Copie à :
> Objet : [modeleng] Re: Rails/Wheels Clearance
> Hi again Pierre
>
> Well I can only advise on 5" gauge but I will attempt to answer your
> question. It is not possible to give an exact figure for flange-to-rail
> clearance, because the side flank of the flange facing the rail is tapered
> (usually at 20 degrees), and it has a root radius where it meets the tread.
> So what follows is an approximation.
>
> The back-to-back dimension between the flanges is usually 4.11/16" (you may
> also see 4.5/8" on older designs). The radius of the tip of the flange is
> usually 3/64", so the dimension across the tips of the flanges, where the
> radius meets the flank, is 4.11/16 plus (approximately) 4 x 3/64" = 4.7/8".
> In other words, there is a nominal 1/16" clearance each side at this point.
>
> On curves, it is common to widen the track gauge by 1/32" to 1/16" depending
> on the radius.
>
> Sorry I haven't converted the figures to millimetres for you, but I hope
> this information is of some use.
>
> Regards
> Ron Head

This e-mail is intended for the adressee(s)only and may contain info that is
the property of, and/or subject to a confidentiality agreement between the
intended recipients.If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact
the originator of this e-mail via e-mail and delete copies from your computer
or network.
Misuse of the content of this e-mail message may violate the Laws of your
Country