[modeleng] Re: "Pecket # 1694 of 1925."

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:11:51 +0100

I have just been looking through some data on Pecket's.

The firm started as Fox, Walker & Co, in 1864 and catered for industrial
requirements. They built mainly 4 and 6 coupled tank locomotives.

Thomas Pecket took control of the company in 1890, and trading as Pecket and
Sons,  retained the works at Atlas Engine Works, Bristol.

The closest class number to the one you mention, is the 1691 class (or type)
which were built from 1925 onwards.
These were 0-6-0 saddle tank engines, with inside cylinders of 13" x 18".
Driving wheels were 3ft 0.5" dia, the wheelbase was 10 ft, and the weight
was 28 tons 10 cwt.
These were standard gauge engines, which carried 800 gallons of water,
andthe boiler had a working pressure of 170 psi.

They standardised as many items as possible. Thus the 0-4-0 engines supplied
to GKN were similar, as were the 1094 class of 0-6-0 tanks.

Newton St Cyres is a small village in Devon, in the south-western peninsular
of England. (Not far from Clif and Roger). I imagine the quarry would have
been for stone, perhaps granite, as it is on the edge of Dartmoor which is
the remains of a long-extinct volcano, and hence granite is common in that
area.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.
.