[modeleng] Re: 14XX

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:58:18 +0100

If built for personal use, and then you decide to sell it, the only tax (who
said only) is capital gains tax.  The first #7,000 or thereabouts PROFIT is
tax free, thereafter it's lumped on your income and if you pay plenty of tax
it will be at the highest rate you pay.

Do bear in mind all costs incurred in building are properly deductible.  For
example I bought my Britannia from Winson at over #7,000 but have also
bought lots of extras from Doug Hewson and lots of other bits and pieces for
my own modifications.  All are properly deductible as long as you have
documented what has been spent or can demonstrate expenditure reasonably
accurately.

You have to go a long way to make over #7,000 profit on any built model,
except of course if you are Tel and build it from all the local scrap 'cos
it hurts to pay!

Peter