[modeleng] 14XX

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 17:49:58 +0100

Hi All,
Gave the 14xx another steaming today amongst the rain showers and surprise
surprise "no blow by".
In fact it sounded perfect and it ran like a dream.
Now I have always known that compressed air is more searching than steam when
testing boilers,so perhaps the same thing applies to valve gear.
I must admit that last time I tried the loco on steam there was a hell of a
blow up the chimney so there was definitely something wrong then.

I reckon now however that I must have been trying for the impossible when
testing the valve gear on compressed air.
The net result of all the rebuilding and redesign seems to be a super perfect
operation and exhaust note.

All that remains to do now is get the locos boiler certificate and look for the
next project.
Any body want to buy a completed 14XX Winson Kit with 43 modifications?

Regards

Clif