[modeleng] Re: Humbrol

  • From: "Len Smith" <parnobal2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:26:05 +0100

Alan, I would think I've used more than a few gallons of Humbrol over the
years, for signwriting, Gypsy waggon decorating, and (mostly) coachlining. I
used the white spirit that I washed my main painbrushes in as thinners. Left to
settle over a month or two, the resultant spirit is a nice golden colour, and
seems to help 'fast dry' the paint. Perhaps it picks up the driers from the old
paint residues. In my travelling kit I always kept a can of lighter fluid,
which is a good thinners substitute for small jobs. (Having a senior moment
here...can't remember exactly what the chemical is, but it sounds similar to
the one in mothballs).
White spirits or turps are both OK for Humbrol, unlike some of the other, newer
makes around now, which seem to need special thinners.
Len Smith