[modeleng] Re: Fw: airbus cockpit 380 360 view

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 20:32:11 +0000

As a safety engineer I take great interest in these sort of incidents.

The problem was that the designers hadn't expected the pilot to fly the
plane in that mode (not an uncommon problem - the user doing something
the designer hadn't planned for).

On the fly past the plane was at low speed, flaps out, wheels down.
When the pilot called for power at the end of the run, the onboard
computer said "don't be daft, we're landing, you don't need power!".  By
the time the pilot had realised what was happening, taken the computer
off line there was about 10 seconds before he hit the trees.  The
engines took about 13 seconds to spool up......

Cheers

Peter