[modeleng] Fw: Re: Adept/Super Adept lathes

  • From: "shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Modeleng" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 23:03:48 -0000

 Hi George

 Your idea of using headed screws (perhaps countersunk?) is most original
and
 I cannot see why it would not work.   There is no easy method of accurately
 cutting slots in grubscrews, giving a perfect result.   If there are a lot
 of them, setting up a milling jig, holding the screws in a collet and using
 a slitting saw, is a fail-safe method, but too much trouble for four
screws!
 Watchmakers' suppliers make a handle-less file with two cutting edges,
 specially for this purpose, but they cost a lot!   A Dremel cut-off 'wheel'
 works well, but needs a hand steadier than mine.   Try your idea of turning
 off the heads, and let me know!

 What a pity the mandrel is too small for 0MT.   Try measuring the
 approximate angle of the existing tapered bore, and turn some scrap to that
 angle.  Use engineers' 'Blue' and alter the angle until you have a perfect
 fit showing on the scrap piece.   You can then turn a centre to the angle,
 fit it in the mandrel, and  turn the centre angle, using the topslide.   It
 does not matter that the centre will be soft, as it does not rotate in the
 piece to be turned between centres.

 Good luck with the Adept - as Alan Stepney mentioned, locomotives were made
 on this little lathe between the wars!

 Cheers!   Hubert