[modeleng] Chuck Jaws

  • From: Roger Mason <roger.g3tdm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Model Engineering List - Latest <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 18:04:39 +0100

Hi All,

    Just thought you might be interested in this little event / story.

    I saw a guy advertising a set of chuck jaws on e-Bay.   It sounded
as they would fit my 160 mm chuck,  but when I contacted him,  he
assured me that mine had an imperial scroll,  whereas his jaws were for
a metric scrolled model.

    He recommended that I contact a company called Thame Engineering,
who manufactured chuck jaws.   They turned out to be very helpful,  but
assured me that Pratt Bernerd did not allow anyone to make hardened jaws
for their chucks,  one had to buy from Pratt Bernerd.   The guy asked me
if I would like to know how much a new set would be - he asked if I was
sitting down - a new set of jaws would be GBP206!!!   He told me that it
was far cheaper to buy a brand new chuck of the same size,  complete
with two sets of jaws,  from the same manufacturer - GBP163.

    Can you believe that??

       Cheers,

          Roger Mason,  in St. Agnes.