[modeleng] Re: Boiler blues

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:45:33 +0800

Barrie,

The carbon that is coating the tubes is something that it is wise to remove,
as it is a great insulator.

There are 2 ways to remove it.
The first, and easiest but not always reliable, is to use products like
"Killsoot", which are for removing soot from fireplaces and chimneys. They
don't always work first time round, so 2 or 3 packets are required, and the
boiler needs to be up to operating temp.
The second is with a brush.

I use a hard steel brush that is 0.02" under the ID of my tubes, on a long
rod and powered by my electric drill. The brush must be run slow. Really
slow. And gently, so as to slowly break away the carbon. I always rod
(brush) my tubes by hand, and only when the hard carbon starts to tighten
the hole, do I get out the drill. And then it's gentle gentle.......

Cheers,

Phill.