[modeleng] Re: Boiler blues

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Model Engineering List <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:47:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi there Barrie,
Just a quick thought - do you really need to remove this coating?

Might it not burn away with time anyway?

Surely it can't do any harm to the boiler to have it there, infact may
even protect the inner surfaces of the tubes, and may have no appreciable
affect on the heat transfer.

If you really want to get rid of it, possibly some chemical means should
be tried, but definitely ought to be very careful what you use, try some
out on samples of copper and silver solder before you start.

Yours,

Rich.
PS Over 2000 pounds - ouch, that sounds painful!