[missbirdphotos] Re: intro

  • From: "Judy Howle" <howle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:53:16 -0600

It's not razor sharp but looks quite acceptable to me.  I use a 100 - 400
hand-held most of the time and that's about what I get a good bit of the
time as I don't use it often nowadays and that makes it a lot harder to hold
it steady. I do shoot a lot from the vehicle and propping on the window
opening helps. Also distance makes a big difference in sharpness especially
hand held. I'm attaching one I made last week from the vehicle.  First time
I'd used the lens since January. The bird was probably 80 ft away so it was
cropped a fair amount.

Good image processing makes a lot of difference too. Not just for sharpness,
but for "punch" i.e. appearing to have more mid-tone contrast mostly and
saturating the colors a bit from the original Raw capture.  I used Lightroom
4 (highly recommended!) and Photoshop CS5.  I do capture sharpening of 25
amount on the Raw image and then after I size it for the web/print in
Photoshop I use Smart Sharpen or Nk Dfine Ps plugin which is excellent.
Photoshop Elements has the same smart sharpen available. Lightroom can also
add output sharpening to your jpg or other format images when you export
them after conversion.

As for tips for razor sharp images, of course using a tripod with
stabilization turned OFF and using a wired or wireless remote shutter
release (or 2 second timer) to reduce shake is the optimal way and you
should at least try that to determine if the lens is sharp or not.

When hand-holding I find that if I grasp the tripod collar foot with my left
hand instead of just supporting the lens I get much sharper images. Other
tips are to place one foot ahead of the other to get better balance and
holding your breath when you press the shutter helps. I also discovered that
if I sort of roll the flat part of the end of my finger across the button
instead of just pressing the end down on it it shakes the camera a lot less.

I did a search at birdphotographers.net photography forum and found this
info for you:

I have the 100 - 400 lens as my main workhorse and it is plenty sharp.
Although there are reports of soft copies out there, most problems are user
error or tweakable adjustments. Check the following:

- Have you checked for the need of micro adjustments? [on cameras that have
micro adjustments - he was replying to someone with a 7D]
- Do you have a filter on...if so, I know this lens isn't very happy with
one on (especially cheap generic ones) [I never use a filter on mine other
than a polarizer when needed]
- When handholding with IS on, are you using proper handholding techniques?
- Are you using a tripod, and if so is IS turned off? (it should be)
- If used on a tripod with IS off, are the images sharp or sharper?
- Are the images sharp when stopped down (say, f/7.1 or f/8)? Some copies
are reputed to be soft wide open, but sharp stopped down... [mine is softer
wide open]

Another guy said:

I also believe there are variations in quality of the 100-400. Mine is
softer than a friend's at 400 and tested identically (on tripod with mirror
lock up, daylight fast exposure).

Be sure to remove any filter, even expensive ones. The large aperture
combined with the long focal length will magnify any imperfection, which
means even the best filter will likely cause some distortion.

A moderator said:

Yes, distance to subject can be another factor. When cropping, if I end up
with anything less than 75% of full-frame I just won't post it or put it on
my website (I could crop more in many cases, but that is just a personal
thing that I have). If you do crop heavily, yes, your images may appear soft
if they aren't critically sharp to begin with.

Two guys sent theirs in to Canon and they were fixed.  One was lens
alignment, cost $350 but now tack sharp. He said:  I sent the lens to Canon,
explaining what seemed to be happening, and $350 and 2 weeks later (it was
out of warranty, of course) I received what works like a brand new lens. Now
my 100-400 is sharper at 300mm that my 300mm f4L. It is also sharper than my
70-200.

Another sent his in and they found it was back-focusing.

Hope this helps!

Judy Howle

Southern Exposures

http://southernexposure.zenfolio.com

Digital Photography Class; Resources for Photographers

http://digitalphotographyclass.net