[missbirdphotos] Re: intro

  • From: Dana Swan <danaswan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 08:05:39 -0600

Larry, I think the photo is pretty good.  I checked the settings out on
Photoshop.  Your photos was taken at 1/320 sec at f8.0 at focal length of
400mm with ISO of 640 on March 29, 2011.    Your meter was set to spot
meter and the histogram show that the photo is slightly underexposed.   I
prefer to slightly underexpose my photos though as it is much easier to
correct than over exposure.   The shutter of 1/320 may be a little slow at
400mm, unless you have very steady hands.   The old rule of thumb of one
over the focal length suggests that 1/500 might be better.  I know that
camera makers say that vibration reduction give you an extra two shutter
speeds, I have never been able to verify that claim.  At f8.0 you have a
little room to use a faster shutter speed.   You can also kick the ISO up a
little to take advantage of a higher speed.  You pick up more noise at the
higher ISO, but the faster shutter speed may more than compensate for it.
A tripod or monopod is also an option, but I am too lazy for that.

--
Dana Swan at Toccopola, Mississippi.
*There are two kinds of men in this world.   *