[mira_talk] Re: Question: padded or unpadded outputs

  • From: Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:38:02 +0000

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:38 PM, lenis vasilis <val1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your support.
> I'm really sorry for annoying you again but I'm a little bit confused.
> As I understand (and I'm not so sure about that) the unpadded file

is the consensus after the corrections that Mira did into the previous run.
> I tried to visualize it on igv by converting the maf file into bam.

The key point here is MIRA's SAM/BAM output is for use with
MIRA's padded FASTA file.

If you want to view a SAM/BAM file with the unpadded FASTA file,
you first need to run "samtools depad" on the MIRA SAM/BAM file
to make an unpadded BAM file:

$ samtools depad -S -u -T mira_padded.fasta mira_padded.sam >
mira_unpadded_unsorted.bam
Then sort and index the BAM file as usual.

See also my blog post (from before padded/unpadded references
were officially included in the SAM/BAM file format v1.5), which has
screenshots from both IGV and Tablet showing insertions using
a padded or unpadded reference:

http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/sambam-with-gapped-reference.html

I prefer Tablet for these viewing SAM/BAM files with a padded reference
because it handles both gapped and ungapped coordinates nicely.
Tablet will also handle the ACE output from MIRA, which also
shows the padded reference nicely.

Peter