[minima] Re: Si5351

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:30:02 -0400

Mac
I did a quick and dirty look at the noise floor using my Tek 495P analyzer and
it was at least as good as or better than the analyzer's own LO noise.. Maybe
over the weekend I can do some more quantified testing using a crystal notch
filter and a low noise amp to jack up the dynamic range of my measurements.
I'll have to get the rotary encoder working for that so I can dial in the
crystal frequency very closely.

The bigger issue for me right now is the spurious outputs. My belief is that
they're either intermodulation products of the 2 active output channels
produced inside the chip, or possibly reference sidebands from the fractional-n
synthesis. They're definitely not coming from the Arduino board, as I powered
the Si5351 board separately from a lab supply and turned off the power to the
controller board after the chip got loaded from I2C - no change. Maybe if I get
some time tonight I'll look at it with all but one channel turned off; this
will tell if it's intermodulation related. If this turns out to be inherent,
then the idea of one Si5351 to cover both the VFO and the BFO is probably kaput
for anything except a low-expectations receiver. However, even if 2 chips are
required, it's still cheaper than an Si570 and much more flexible.

I've been corresponding with some folks over at Jason's site and also on the
SiLabs forum. I'll report if I get any useful info.

Joe