[minima] Re: Si5351

  • From: "Mac A. Cody" <maccody@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 23:06:55 -0500

Joe,

I obtained one of the Si5341B devices (8 outputs with VCO input) awhile
back, but I have not done anything with it due to other activities.
I've studied the part specifications and I believe that the phase noise
may be significantly higher than that of the Si570.  I just can't
quantify exactly how much more, though.

The Si570 specs quote a phase jitter of 0.62 ps typical for the CMOS
part.  The Si5351 specs quote a period jitter and cycle-to-cycle jitter
of 50 to 70 ps, typical.  These are apples-to-oranges comparisons, but
that is about a 100X difference.  Even being generous and saying there
is only a 10X difference, it is still significant.  I've downloaded
some of the Silicon Lab application notes on phase noise, but I've not
sorted through them yet.  Still, Jason at NT7S.com has been using the
part in some of his QRP experiments.  He thinks it might be a usable
part, but hasn't answered the phase noise issue either.

Hope that this helps.

73,

Mac AE5PH

On 10/29/2014 01:06 PM, Joe Rocci wrote:
Hi DuWayne!
I purchased the AdaFruit board with high hopes, but my initial spectrum analyzer results are a bit disappointing. At first, the 2 active outputs (I'm using the NT7S 2-channel example code) were crosstalking so that the Ch0 output was leaking into the Ch1 output only 40 db down. I sort of cured that by reprogramming to use channels 0 and 2, which have more space between them on the chip. However, the bigger problem is numerous spurs every couple Mhz only about 60-70 db down. At first I thought this might be power supply noise from the Arduino Nano that I'm running it with. I connected a lab supply to the Si5351 board, but that didn't change anything. Then, thinking it might be some digital noise from the Nano coming over on the I2C, I held the reset button on the Nano, which I assume kills all I/O. That didn't help either. I now think this might be some artifacts from the fractional-N synthesis process, as the level of the spurs jumps up and down several dB. If this truly is intrinsic in the part, it's almost a deal-killer for anything but a novelty receiver.
I'd like to hear others' experiences.
Joe
W3JDR