[minima] Re: A (temporary) solution to my mixer problems

  • From: Joe Rocci <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 06:23:54 -0400

Both the KISS and the diode DBM operate using the switching principle. The
FET-based switching mixers MIGHT be less sensitive to reactive load swings, but
I've not seen any work that proves this quantitatively.

I think the move to a packaged mixer is good idea. In this rig, a known good
mixer is the lynch-pin of performance, so getting that variable out of the mix
is essential to getting a design nailed down. BTW, this ebay seller has had
Minicircuits JMS-1 level 7 mixers listed at $15 for 10 pcs for months:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-JMS-1-MINI-CIRCUITS-FREQUENCY-MIXER-2-500MHz-SMD-FREE-SHIPPING-/121157563325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c358db3bd

This part is very similar to the ADE-1. At $1.50 ea, it's hard to pass up. I
purchased a set a few months back and they work well.

Joe

Sent from my tablet