[minima] Re: A (temporary) solution to my mixer problems

  • From: "Wayne" <nb6m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 14:35:18 -0700

Hi Joe,

Just re-did the test, on the Rigol DSA-815.

Raw Si570 output        +14.47 dBM

With 39 Ohm resistor  +10.37 dBm

So yes, it does drop the output significantly, more than the scope and power
meter suggested.

But it looks like mileage will vary, so folks should still measure the output
after putting the 39 Ohm resistor in and adjust as necessary to get it down to
+7 dBm.

Thanks a bunch.  I appreciate the double check.

Wayne

  From: Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx>
  Date: Wed, October 22, 2014 4:04 pm
  To: "minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Joe,

  I agree with using the 39 Ohm resistor to get to 50 Ohms, but in tests I've
just run here, that only dropped the output into a 50 Ohm load by some two dBm.
 Right now I'm seeing .985V RMS output on my scope, which correlates to just
about +13 dBm, and that's with the 39 Ohm resistor in place.

  I'm also seeing +13 dBm on my power meter, which backs up the voltage reading.

  This indicates that a resistive pad would still be needed to get the output
down to the +7 dBm level.

  Have you run similar tests there?

  Thank you,

  Wayne

  On Oct 22, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Joe Rocci <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    The Si570 drives about +13 dbm into a 50 ohm load and its output impedance
is around 13 ohms. With that assumption, all you need is a series 39 ohm
resistor to the mixer LO input. This will create a nice impedance match for the
mixer and will also drop the Si570 drive level just about into the sweet spot.

    Joe
    W3JDR