[mea] Re: each other / one another

  • From: "Frazer, Cheri" <Cheri.Frazer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:15:01 -0500

Hi, Marilyn.

I tend to make the change but I don't defend it as THE correct usage. It
just sounds right to my ear most of the time.

_The New Fowler's Modern English Usage_ says, "A belief that *each other*
properly refers to two people and *one another* to more than two is
reflected in many contexts [examples follow] . . . but the belief is
untenable, as can be seen from the following departures from the
'rule':[more examples follow] . . ."

Hope that helps,
Cheri