[mea] Re: each other / one another

  • From: Rick Johnson <johnsonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:41:12 -0500

on 5/13/02 3:08 PM, Marilyn Morton at mortzim@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, fellow MEA members.
>
> I'm curious to know whether the rest of you differentiate between "each other"
> and "one another" when you're editing. As you might know, some sources, such
> as the Gage Canadian Dictionary and the guide Woe Is I, say it's proper to use
> "each other" when referring to two people and "one another" when referring to
> more than two. (Paul and David dislike each other. The members of the
> department gave gifts to one another.) When you're editing a text where the
> author has used the two terms interchangeably, do you change them to conform
> to this rule? Maybe your decision depends on the formality of the document?
>
> Just curious. Thanks!
>
> Marilyn

On a personal level, rules are guides, or sign posts. I hate obeying speed
limits when there isn't another person or vehicle in sight and the highway
is is good shape. But professionally, I think it is up to editors to protect
the language and be a conservative influence as long as we can hold out.
Having said that, either way, depending on the piece, could be a bit
cumbersome for me. What would be wrong with "The members fo the department
exchanged gifts."?

Rick