[macvoiceover] Re: safari and filling in forms

  • From: Richie Gardenhire <rhire1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:43:15 -0900

Hi William and Others, Chances are, if you haven't received a response from Apple, they are researching the possibilities you have suggested to them and are working hard to implement your suggestions for future updates. Personally, I have had no problems with accessibility@xxxxxxxxx , despite the fact sometimes I have had to wait a while for specific suggestions for example, I suggested to them that something should be incorporated so that there is a five-second alert from either VoiceOver itself, or a System Alert, so that text being read by VoiceOver can be interrupted to alert the listener of the time, if the clock is set to go off on the half-hour, hour, or quarter hour. Two weeks later, I got a response, assuring me that such a feature would be incorporated in either a future update or future OS releases. The developers do listen and they know there are a lot of us out there, so keep sending suggestions to them. Just a thought.. Richie Gardenhire, Anchorage, Alaska.

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:32 AM, william wrote:

Hi all,
Working in safari wit forms can be very hard sometimes...
Yesterday I was filling in a registrationform. E.g. if you have a combobox , you need the textual information next to it to know what Kind of answer you should select. It's not very easy to jump whit the brailledisplay or the vo-cursor to the text-information. Also, webdisiners are free to construct the lay-out of their website like they prefer. So, I think it's good that vo don't use a forms-mode like most windows- screenreaders do because the forms-mode gives a interpretation to the information on a website correctly. This means: if the webpage has a other construction, the forms-mode should work bad.

Since vo works with different levels on the screen that need interaction to see the content of a specific area, the Item-shoser can't work in every situation on a website. I mea n: if the information you are looking for is in a sublevel on the screen and needs first interaction to see the contents, the item- shoser can't find the necessary information.

Also, because of the long discription of the controls on the braille display , You will lose alot of information on the display. I think for this, it's important to have language independant symbols for controls.
a example can be:
{linkname} : tne name of a link instead of the word "link"

Or, they can simply underline the link with dot's 7 and 8.
but To let this work, they shoud remove the dots 7 and 8 from the information on a brailledisplay that is shown on a website.
I see no reason why tekst should be underlined on a website.

an again about the controls:
[ ] [x]: unchecked or checked checkbox
( ) (x): unchecked or checked radiobutton
I use mac in dutch ans for a combobox, I see the word "venstermenuknop".
This is also a very long word on the display and can perhaps be replaces with this:
{list}

I have send some information to the accessibility address of apple but there is no response since 2 weeks I think.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions are very welcome,

best regards,
William >