[macvoiceover] safari and filling in forms

  • From: william <wonka@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:32:33 +0100

Hi all,
Working in safari wit forms can be very hard sometimes...
Yesterday I was filling in a registrationform. E.g. if you have a combobox ,
you need the  textual information next to it to know what Kind of answer you
should select. It's not very easy to jump whit the brailledisplay or the
vo-cursor to the text-information.
Also, webdisiners are free to construct the lay-out of their website like they
prefer.
So, I think it's good that vo don't use a forms-mode like most
windows-screenreaders do because the forms-mode gives a interpretation to the
information on a website correctly.
This means: if the webpage has a other construction, the forms-mode should work
bad.

Since vo works with different levels on the screen that need interaction to see
the content of a specific area, the Item-shoser can't work in every situation
on a website.
I mea   n: if the information you are looking for is in a sublevel on the
screen and needs first interaction to see the contents, the item-shoser can't
find the necessary information.

Also, because of the long discription of the controls on the braille display ,
You will lose alot of information on the display.
I think for this, it's important to have language independant symbols for
controls.
a example can be:
{linkname} : tne name of a link instead of the word "link"

Or, they can simply underline the link with dot's 7 and 8.
but To let this work, they shoud remove the dots 7 and 8 from the information
on a brailledisplay that is shown on a website.
I see no reason why tekst should be underlined on a website.

an again about the controls:
[ ] [x]: unchecked or checked checkbox
( ) (x): unchecked or checked radiobutton
I use mac in dutch ans for a combobox, I see the word "venstermenuknop".
This is also a very long word on the display and can perhaps be replaces with
this:
{list}

I have send some information to the accessibility address of apple but there is
no response since 2 weeks I think.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions are very welcome,

best regards,
William >