[macvoiceover] Re: VO-friendly firewall wanted

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 17:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

You do have to know enough Mac to build things when no mac packages are
available if you want to use arnos-iptables-firewall.  I find it
questionable to have intrusion detection in a firewall at all.  That's the
proper job of system integrity software not a firewall.  For that the aide
packages or shorewall or tripwire is more appropriate.  The reason it's
inappropriate to add mission creep to firewall software is very simple.
When a hacker does break into your system, they'll completely disable only
one package then all of that additional mission creep added into that
single package is just as compromised as that firewall was.  You could
research honeypot software if you'd like to have some fun with the
attackers as they crash your system too.  On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Robin Kipp