[macvoiceover] Mac question

  • From: "Lena Contreras" <lenac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:30:52 -0700

Hi
I just joined this list.  I'm thinking seriously about purchasing a Mac Book
soon.  I have a few questions to ask, or myths to clear up.  People tell me
that Macs can't read documents created in Windows.  Specifically Excel and
Word.  Also that PDF files aren't readable by Voice Over.  They also say that
there isn't an equivalent program to OpenBook or Kurzweil.  Updating the
operating system is expensive and the programs made for Apple are expensive
because they are proprietary.  Macs are hard to get fixed because the lack of
Apple stores.  I think those are all the questions/myths I have heard of.
I'm looking for pros and cons to switching to a Mac.  I generally use my
computer for email, internet, and Microsoft Office programs like Word and Excel.
Any advice you have is great.
Oh, what about connecting the peripherals I have already:  printer, scanner,
card reader.  Probably need new drivers for those.
Thanks.
Lena