[macvoiceover] Re: Mac question

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:38:23 -0700

There is no equivalent program to Openbook or Kurzweil for  a Mac.
There are solutions, Abbyy Fine Reader express being the one that it
seems most prefer. But to say that it provides anything like the
functionality and ease of use, efficiency etc that is provided by
Kurzweil is  simply not true. I have a Mac and use it for a lot of
things. But scanning isn't one of them. there are trade offs. The
specialized scanning application will cost several times what Fine
Reader express costs.  To say that the most you'll pay for a Mac is
1200 dollars is also quite a stretch, given the fact that Imacs and
some macbook pros run more than that. As much as I like my Mac, I would
not give up access to Windows at this time.

Mary