[macvoiceover] Re: Mac programming

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:36:45 -0500 (EST)

nano is another wysiwyg editor and is a competitor to pico. Pico has the pine version which is restricted as to what can be done in terms of source code which was the original rationalle for writing nano and there's the alpine version of pico which is open source. Tangential to the versions of pico is pilot. It comes with alpine sometimes and is sometimes available as alpine-pilot and that's a file management utility like nswp and cweep used to be for dos. The screen magnifier users have used xtree which is an analog to pilot. The mc midnight commander program is also analogous to pilot except pilot is accessible where mc is not.On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, John J. Boyer wrote:

You should also be able to download nano. I've used that on the Mac with
great satisfaction.

John

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 05:14:58AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
You already have ex, you could download and install emacs, and perhaps you
also have ed.  If you must have wysiwyg you can run ex as vi or perhaps
vim or perhaps elvis.On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Tim Burgess wrote:

Hi,

Can anybody offer any advice as to a simple text editor suitable for
programming on the Mac that's friendly with VO?  I'm using GCC from the
command line, rather than get bogged down in Xcode, so I just need
something
that won't expand tabs to spaces, etc..

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes.