[macvoiceover] Re: Mac programming

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:31:45 -0600

On Jan 6, 2011, at 3:03 AM, Tim Burgess wrote:

Hi,

I haven't used any of these editors (well, briefly VI, but that was 25 years ago), so I'm really trying to decide which to put my learning investment
into.  Thanks for the info.

If all you're after is an editor, then learn pico.
1, because it ships with every single version of osx, linux, bsd, and who knows how many other unix variants. 2, all of it's commands are listed on the bottom line of the screen, so if you forget one, a simple ctrl-g gives you the entire list of others. 3. it's uncomplicated, extremely simple to use, and works the same whether you're local or remote. Not to mention, it (unlike some other editors) does nothing to your formatting/end of line characters, unless you specifically tell it to do so. I.E. if the file is in dos cr/lf mode when you load it into pico, it will still be in dos cr/lf mode when you save it and exit. You can of course change this behavior, but by default it changes nothing in the file, which sometimes is extremely important when dealing with cross-platform files. Other editors have a nasty habbit of changing the end of line characters to whatever the native os uses, which can cause compile errors if it's edited in the wrong os then compiled on another. Of course, if you want to use vi, that ships by default with osx too, so feel free to use that if so desired. Emacs also ships by defaullt with osx too, so if you're more comfortable with that, then use emacs. It's all installed by default, you need not install anything, just go to terminal, and type the command vi, pico, or emacs, and you're off and running.
That's all there is to it.