[macvoiceover] Re: Buying A MacBook

  • From: Marie Howarth <marie.jane2005@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:39:43 +0100

I found it easier to not compare mac to windows. it made the switch a lot cleaner.

On Jun 17, 2009, at 12:15 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Hi Portia;

One of the things that delighted me when I began discovering the mac was the full keyboard access. It works a lot like windows native with different but similar functions in some respects. The vo getting started manual does not stress this enough for new mac users. you can tab and press space and enter on things just like you do in windows especially once you know where they are because unlike in the windows assistive technologies, not everything is read out automatically by tabbing. Using multi page dialogs is slightly different as well, you can find the group of tabs, find the one you want to look at and press space on it. each app has a toolbar which you can use or skip and the mac has a lot of things that are similar to windows such as a menubar at the top of the screen but the mac is more consistant in its approach. for instance, each app almost always has a menu bar, the biggest difference between them is the individual app menu in the menubar.

Using safari is quite a bit different than using a browser in windows in that you can get a lot more up close and personal with your content but you don't have to because there is a mode provided by voiceover that allows you to zoom in if you will to access the information you want. On sites with security info, the cursor is positioned on the first field and ready to type. if I go to my bank for instance, I can type as soon as the page is loaded, press enter and type again and press enter to provide the password.

I'll wind this up by saying one more thing although there are a lot of things I could say I'll leave it to others who have already said it and envite questions from you as you learn. Unlike windows assistive technologies, when vo becomes disoriented, it simply restarts automatically. Although this can be a bit disconcerting in the beginning, it serves to provide a much more stable experience for the user.

On Jun 17, 2009, at 2:49 AM, Portia wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a MacBook. Which MacBook would you most recommend? Also, is there anything I need to know about the Mac OS? I am switching from Windows Vista to Mac, hopefully.

Thanks,

Portia.