[macvoiceover] Re: Apple Adds VoiceOver to ITV Receiver

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:44:09 -0500

Steering the thread back to VoiceOver a bit, does anyone know of any efforts to
contact the Hulu or Netflix people to discuss the state of accessibility of
their iOS apps?

The Netflix app on the iPad actually works perfectly with VoiceOver. The
catalog is presented on a large web page type of voice that VoiceOver operates
easily. The player works well, also, with all of the controls recognized by
VoiceOver.

The iPhone app works to a degree. The player is alright, but the catalog
browser doesn't. It seems that swiping with VoiceOver doesn't cause the screen
to scroll in order to follow the VoiceOver focus. The result is that you can
double tap to activate anything that is actually visible on the screen, but
swiping to items that are not currently shown and double tapping them fails to
do anything. It also isn't possible to manually scroll the screen with a three
finger swipe. It looks like there really isn't much work required here at all
to make the app accessible, but the bug that does exist is a big one.

Hulu for the iPhone is programmed very well in terms of accessibility. Where
Netflix looks a lot like an iPhone web app instead of a native app, Hulu is
definitely a native app. Most all of the Hulu player reads well, too, with one
very important exception. The names of catalog items (episodes, movies, etc),
are all displayed as buttons, and they all have the label "Detail Accessory".
You therefore have no way to tell the name of the catalog item that you are
touching. If Hulu could get the item names in to the button labels, then their
player would work very well, and they'd have my money.

I wonder if Hulu works any better on the iPad. Maybe one of you with an iPad
will check it out. You can get the app for free, and, even without a
subscription, they have some free/demo content that you can use to preview how
the player operates.

Assuming that Hulu and Netflix fixed their iOS apps, then they'd be good
options for people to enjoy on the Apple TV, also.

Bryan