[lit-ideas] Re: some Hitchens to raise ire

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:48:29 -0400

Andy: Bush never finished in Afghanistan because he turned to Iraq. Afghanistan is therefore unfinished. He dropped his search for OBL and turned to WMD. The time to have finished it is when we had the momentum, the intiative. Not after we give them time to regroup and scatter.

___

That's another argument for finishing in both Iraq and Afghanistan. If we retreat (run away) from Iraq, it will encourage the Islamists, insurgents, Iraqi mafia, etc. to fill in the power vacuum and advance.

That's one of the basic rules of war. When one's opponents retreat, you advance and attack. If we leave, the consequences for Iraq will be much worse than if we stay until the Iraqis can adequately defend themselves.