[lit-ideas] just for the record

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:24:34 -0400 (EDT)

walter sinnott armstrong is a former colleague, at Duke. Spernza, why not getting facts straight? On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

Interesting to have R. Paul's recollections and thoughts on the subject-matter of ethics. He is commenting on Wager.

In a message dated 8/5/2010 10:20:59 P.M., jwager@xxxxxxxxxx  writes:

"What is ethics?  What place do concepts or principles have  in ethics?
What do we do when we practice ÿÿethicsÿÿ as a thoughtful  process?  Many
philosophers try to begin with the ÿÿtheoryÿÿ that would allow  us to predict
what
general form ÿÿX is rightÿÿ would have.  If I am treating  someone fairly,
then ÿÿXÿÿ is the right thing to do. If I am maximizing happiness,  then ÿÿXÿÿ
is right.  If ÿÿHappinessÿÿ implies ÿÿX,ÿÿ and ÿÿHappinessÿÿ is the  correct
view, then ÿÿXÿÿ follows.  Our old friend Modus Ponens. But I donÿÿt  think this
is the way we always operate when we try to do ethics as a rational
process.  Sometimes we start with the conclusion, and then try to argue  back to
the premises.  ÿÿYÿÿ is wrong.  Ooops! I hadnÿÿt ever had to deal  with ÿÿYÿÿ
before, but clearly ÿÿYÿÿ canÿÿt possibly be the right thing to do!"

----

Another thing that bothers me: is when 'legal' strikes in.

As we were saying with J. Evans: It is up to New Yorkers to decide if
Park51 is the right thing to do. Surely we mean the 'legal' thing. So then we
hear of Habermas, "Morality and Legality". And we wonder that it is just
IMPOSSIBLE to have something which is ILLEGAL and moral.

But this may depend on one's conceptions of legality. J. Evans is an expert
in political philosophy, so here I would think Kelsen's positivism comes
to  mind. What is ACCEPTED (as legal, as a matter of fact, de facto) may
still not  be what is acceptABLE (qua moral, as a matter of iure). But I'm
talking vaguely  or confusedly.

Wager goes on:

"Ooops again; it looks like ÿÿHappinessÿÿ implies ÿÿY.ÿÿ  What to  do?  Our
old friend Modus Tollens: If ÿÿHappinessÿÿ then ÿÿY.ÿÿ  Not ÿÿY.ÿÿ  Therefore,
not ÿÿHappiness.ÿÿ  What this means in practice is that most  of us are more
than willing to throw out a theory when it conflicts with some  deeply held
idea of the immorality of a particular practice, no matter what  theory might
say itÿÿs the right thing to do.  (At least, that seems to me  what I have
done in the past, and what I see as a reasonable prospect for  following in
the future.)"

---- Besides the moral/legal issue, which may not be relevant to what J.
Wager is talking about, I would think what Wager IS talking about, in my case
at  least to me, relates with Ross's sort of INTUITIONISM.

Moral intuitionism (Ross, Prichard, and a few others -- popular at  Oxford
in the pre-Grice days) precisely holds intuitions to be prior. I would  even
call a non-naturalist like G. E. Moore an 'intuitionist' in this sense. The
Scots idea of a 'moral sense'.

The problem with intuitionism is that it becomes irrefutable,  incorrigible
and a matter of privileged access. If you INTUIT x is right (or  wrong),
then x IS right (or wrong). Your intuitions cannot 'go' wrong. But I
disagree. I think intuitions -- or so-called intuitions CAN go wrong. My
favourite
case here is Flanders/Swann's reluctant cannibal ("Eating people is  wrong"
-- also title of, typically, an academic novel by Bradbury -- only
academics like J. L. Mackie, "Inventing right and wrong" -- a favourite with
Grice
-- care about meta-ethics and what makes a moral intuition the wrong sort
of thing to start one's moralising with.

Wager:

"It also seems to be how philosophers write journal articles; they try to
modify the theory to allow for its use in situations where the theory seems
to  allow ÿÿYÿÿ so that the theory no longer allows ÿÿYÿÿ to be seen as the
right thing  to do. I think that this is similar to Turner's two "poles" of
"concepts" and  the "sensory" component.  We change both as we go. We need
both as  starting-points for ethics. What say other others?"

I think the way philosophers write journal articles may be more complicated
than that -- but not TOO MUCH more complicated. There is indeed a lot of
ad-hocness (a moral philosopher proving that an alleged counterexample to
rule-utilitarianism, say, is not a REAL counterexample) and there is a lot of
'nitpicking'.

My favourite nitpicker, who writes pretty good moral essays, is Sinnott
Armstrong, of Dartmouth. My favourite ad-hoc nitpicking must be his now
classic:

"Ought Conversationally Implies Can" (Philosophical Review).

Surely we know from R. M. Hare (the Language of Morals) that 'ought' is the
moral word par excellence (etymologically, "I ought" --> "I owed").
Sinnott-Armstrong is applying Grice's minimal requirements of rationality in the
utterance of 'ought'. Ought does not entail can, does not presuppose can.
It  merely 'implicates' it conversationally. The gist of Sinnott-Armstrong's
essay  then is a mixture of his 'intuitions' which not only come out as
'moral' now but  as 'linguistic'. When are we justified to see if we are using
'ought'  correctly?

Grice thought that 'ought' is not necessarily the MAIN moral concept. He
preferred, "must" (and 'should'). His example, "Nixon should be teaching
moral  philosophy at Oxford" (Aspects of Reason). Grice viewed 'must' as
encompassing  this sense of 'necessity' that we adjudicate to our moral
judgements
when  uttered in Kant's favourite universalistic vein.

Of course Grice knew he could only do that because S. N. Hampshire, with
his relativism, had cleared the ground for him. Warnock, too, in his "The
object  of morality".

---------- If one learns from these Oxonian meta-ethicists, it is how
'clever language is'. It would turn out that the immoral person is the one that
cannot speak properly. Or something.

Cheers

Speranza
Bordighera

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)