[lit-ideas] just for the record

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 05:58:54 +0000

In the case of Wittgenstein the very use of 'atomic' is largely influenced by
the chemical metaphors (in Frege functions can be saturated, and Frege was
aware that he used a chemical term for a reason, the function when and only
when saturated yields a thought [what is now called a truth-evaluable
proposition].
Likewise the publication of Tractatus (after the captivity) was done in a
chemistry journal (Annalen der Naturphilosophie, directed and edited by W.
Ostwald, the Nobel prize in chemistry of 1909) Later on, Moore, Ramsey, and
Russell understood it would be worthwhile to translate (hence the English text
with the latin title)

TLP may be the first treatment that allows completeness of sentential calculi,
with the (likely to be independent) work done by E. Post, a Polish school
teacher in New York

Best wishes