[lit-ideas] Re: gmail

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:32:02 -0400

Use the 'Label' option to sort emails.  With this, you can view all emails
with a particular label.  Also, a single email can have multiple labels.
Further, using the 'Archive' function, you can remove emails from 'Inbox'
while keeping them available for searches and labels.

Okay, cool, this is good, although to go back and retroactively 'mark' 1102
emails is going to take some time, but at least now I know HOW to do it and
will eventually get it all done so I can keep my mail boxes neat.

Paul continues:

"Well, mine doesn't do [spell check]."

When I open a window to compose a new email, on the top right hand corner
of
the text window is the option to check spelling.

That's a start... but it still won't check on the fly as Julie suggested.

Very curious.  I have no 'browser crap' or ads.  I wonder if you are using
different version of gmail?

I have news stuff on the top of my homepage every time I go to gmail. As far
as 'browser crap", I'm talking about the fact that because I'm forced to use
(for Julie, I'm using Firefox)  a browser that takes up about the top 1/5 of
hte screen with all its toolbars etc. yes, I know I can turn all that stuff
off, but then it will be gone for all the other stuff 99% of my use of
Firefox.

The more I use gmail, the more I like it.  However, as you noted, there are
those odd times when one doesn't have access to the internet but still
want
access to emails.  It is possible to access gmail with an email client
like
Outlook.

I don't use Outlook. I hate it. I use Eudora. It's simply and ONLY an email
program, very specialized and works perfectly for email.

Oh, and another HUGE pet peeve in gmail is the fact that, since it opens up
a window for email inside the window for the page itself, my scroll wheel on
my mouse get's all f*&^ed up.

Also, try this. go to a message, hit 'reply' then try to insert your cursor
(using you mouse) in the middle of the person's pasted email. Sometimes, it
goes invisible. Also, try highlighting something and then pressing 'delete'
to get rid of it -- sometimes it doesn't work. Sometimes, if I try to drag
my cursor all over a bunch of text, because it's in a separate window, the
window goes up and down in the browser -- MAJOR annoyance.

In other words, you have to learn a whole new way of editing and thus it's
a pain. I just wish I could find a way to stay connected with my popmail
account so I could get rid of gmail. AGAIN... this email took me 16 minutes
to compose when it would have taken 4 or 5 in my reg program. Another reason
I don't bother with lit-ideas very much and even now, when I do, it's a
gripe about the difficulties of doing it. Oh nevermind. Thanks for your
help, I'm leaving.

paul