[lit-ideas] eros and learning

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:25:20 -0500

Walter: Think of how many hours you wasted in classes listening to
a prof who had no erotic connection to either his discipline or his students.

Eric: I wonder why our culture dismisses the connection between eros and learning? Maybe it doesn't fit into the factory-settings-and-standards model. Some Puritan remnant? Some Cartesian resistance? Or maybe because in our culture, the erotic is treated so obviously as a commodity, a need with a fulfillment, that we resist seeing it as a pervasive force?

Today's lecture is on Nietzsche's Apollonian-Dionysian synergy, but we shall discuss it in a purely Apollonian way. Go figure!