[lit-ideas] Re: Bond

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:01:34 -0330

Quoting Stan Spiegel <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
snip
Connery
> really comes across as both sexy and dangerous. He has presence. I wouldn't
> want to mess with him.

Interesting. Could these descriptors also apply to very good university
teachers? The intrigue of Socratic eros ... as even Rorty begrudgingly
recognized it in his tirade against A. Bloom, the author of, amongst other
pamphlets, *The closing of the American mind*. I had a philosophy teacher like
that as an undergraduate at Loyola in Montreal. She made a huge penetrating
impression on me and I learned alot from her. Mostly because she agreed with
nothing I said and kept telling me to return to the actual text. What
affrontery and arrogance!! I'm probably still recovering from that experience.
As fate would have it, I met her again in Oxford, 28 years later in a bookshop
near New College a few years back, and I felt my knees tremble as we spoke.
(That never happens to me; I'm not making this up.) I told her she hadn't
changed a bit and, alas, she returned the compliment. There are very few
teachers like that. Think of how many hours you wasted in classes listening to
a prof who had no erotic connection to either his discipline or his students.
Alas, no money back guarantees at the university.

Walter O.
Memorial U

22222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222