[lit-ideas] Re: Who are you calling crazy?

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 21:21:25 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if the Marines are really mentally ill,
but from your account they sound to be. Of course, I
am cautious about taking your account as an accurate
description of reality, as ever.

As for "Islamists" and "moderate Muslims," we have had
this discussion many times before. In your eyes, I am
a dangerous extremist because I express critical
opinions about the US and Israel. So I am not
surprized that you don't see a lot of "moderate
Muslims" unless they are on Washington's payroll or
something like Fuad Ajami or Ibn-Waraq.

The suicide bombers don't blow themselves up for 71
virgins in paradize, but for attainment of political
or military goals, or sometimes in revenge. I don't
have much liking for them as I am not a military type,
but I don't think they are much different from the war
and resistance heroes whom other nations, including
the US, celebrate. Was Davie Crockett sane that he
allowed himself to be killed at Alamo ?

As for Bin-Laden calling for Musharaff's assasination,
I don't see how it is necessarily more insane than
Bush calling for Saddam Hussein's assassination, or
Pat Robertosn calling for the assassination of Hugo
Chavez, etc.

Finally, as to the constant obsession with security,
there is an element of cowardice (midly put) in it.
Yes, bad things do happen, mostly in unexpected ways.
I have had a lot of fights, some spectacular, but I
never got seriously injured in any of them. I got
seriously injured when I just slipped on ice and fell,
and took me more than a year to recover. We cannot
possibly eliminate all the dangers that exist in the
world, and usually we just have to live with them.
People who are truly brave take it philosophically.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com