[lit-ideas] Who are you calling crazy?

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 20:25:38 -0700

Omar

Marines aren't mentally ill but the Islamists are.  Islamists describe
themselves in word and deeds and their descriptions correspond to mental
illness.  You once suggested that I had a thing about their blowing up cars.
It isn't my thing.  It was after reading account after account of their
doing that in Europe that I mentioned several times.  It is their thing, and
apparently not just Islamists but your "moderate" Muslims.  There have been
lots and lots of damage and it can't all have been caused by the Islamists -
unless there really are no moderates.  Are there?  They behave insanely and
as of the time of the writings of Bawer, Berlinski, Fenby, Yeor, Fallici
etc, they are still behaving that way.

Is their being willing to blow themselves up not mentally ill?  Do you
appeal to Islam to justify an explanation of sanity?  Let's hear it.  I
don't think there is one.  Anyone willing to blow himself up for virgins in
paradise is nuts.  Marines are called nuts for being willing to fight such
people.  It's all in how you look at the world I suppose.

Bin Laden has called for Musharaff's assassination.  Is that not insane? The
wimpy of the world worry about the attitude of the Marines, about their
being insensitive and unfeeling.  But they don't worry about berserk
Islamists.  Some of the people here on Lit-Ideas sound as thought they would
rather stop the Marines than the Islamists.  Now that is mentally ill.
Fortunately Marines are taught about Civilians in boot camp.  They are
taught that civilians barely have sense enough to get out of each other's
way.  We are taught not worry about the dumb things they say and do but to
fight for them in spite of all that.

Lawrence