[lit-ideas] Re: Experience of War

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 21:32:28 -0700

Dang it Irene, you've got me laughing again.  I tried to be serious and kind
because of my supersensitive Marine Corps training, but you keep cracking me
up.  Think of it this way, we were trained to protect you so you can
continue to do and think all the silly things you do and think.  That's
Entertainment . . . er, I mean "Liberal Democracy."  We are free in this
country to engage in all sorts of discussions even anti-American discussions
because we have a fighting force capable of protecting those rights.  Pious
"peace begets peace" wishful thinking is nonsense as any student of history
could tell you.  It is too silly by far to even talk about.

But let's do it just for fun.  We elect, you, Irene Cassidy, President of
the United States on the new Peace at any Price ticket.  Mike Geary is your
Vice President.  You abolish the position of Defense Secretary in your
cabinet, because you won't be needing that.  In your acceptance speech you
once again use those words that got you elected, "peace begets peace."
Peaceniks from Cambridge Massachusetts to San Francisco California shout
their approval with tears dripping down their cheeks.  In your first week in
office you abolish the Marine Corps and Army.  In the Second you abolish the
Navy, and order all ships mothballed.  In your third you abolish the Air
Force and order that all military airplanes be flown to deserts in Nevada
and Southern California and parked there.   The unbelieving world realizes
that you are serious.  The military might of the U.S. is no more.  The rest
of the world is on its own.

Does that sound good to you Irene?  Most strategic analyst would tell you
(after they stopped laughing) that such a scenario, despite you sensitive
tender feelings about matters of war, would produce more murder, mayhem and
loss of life than if you had followed your predecessors in the White House
and taken up the ongoing responsibility of protecting our borders and
protecting weak nations against Rogue nations.  They would tell you that
there are several nations in the world that would love such a scenario.  If
they don't have the U.S. to worry about (the military force of the U.S.)
then they would as Hans Morgenthau persuasively argued, invade and conquer
their neighbors. I can imagine a snappy title for a history of your four
years in office, Nightmare on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Lawrence