[lit-ideas] Re: What is a transcendental claim?

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:10:11 -0330

Some hopefully not overly-eggnoggish replies to the esteemed Eric D ------->

Quoting Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> No doubt mistakenly, I sense the approach of clarity about my differences
> with Walter on at least one point...
>
> Walter elaborates what he is referring to with the word 'transcendental':
>
> > [snip]...plausible T analyses/arguments posit as their object of inquiry
> > (reconstruction) a competence, discourse, or some other dimension of human
> > understanding (meaning, language, etc). This object of analysis is
> carefully
> > delineated and the analysis pursues *that* comprehension of the phenomenon
> and
> > no other. Only as such can T analyses yield univocal results.

ED:
> I think I understand the first sentence here -- plausible transcendental
> analyses (by contrast with, say, Kant's implausible ones?) are about human
> experience (like Kant's were) but are about a defined and limited range of
> such experience, specifically some identifiable competence, discourse or
> other dimension of human understanding.

-------------------> Ganz richtig.

ED:
> Can I accurately paraphrase the second sentence thus?: A plausible
> transcendental analysis carefully delineates the topic (the identified
> competence, etc.) and focuses on it as delineated and not on some other way
> of identifying or characterizing the topic.  I mean, here, to be making sure
> I understand the antecedent to Walter's 'phenomenon'.

---------> We're still on the same rails, yes. Such delineation of a discourse
and its competencies clearly leaves open all sorts of questions regarding
whether we should understand the discourse in the terms delineated by the T'l
analysis. It may be argued that perhaps we should because our conceptions of
the
good/authentic life require it, or because a deliberative democracy requires
institutions predicated on such competencies in the citizenry. On the other
hand, criticisms may take the following forms: Perhaps the analysis is
ethnocentric in its conceptualization of the object of analysis (the phenomenon
being reconstructed). Perhaps we're being unfair to the understandings and
histories of certain marginalized and oppressed groups - such as women,
Hispanics, lesbians, Seventh Day Adventists, the elderly, the handicapped,
upper middle class privileged to the hilt white males (still kicking), bankers
working for Morgan Stanley, dolphins and chimps .... or some combination of
the above.

ED:
> If so, then I think that Walter here is outlining minimum conditions for
> rigor or discipline that an analysis has to meet in order to qualify as a
> (potentially successful) transcendental analysis.  Is that right?

-------> Yes. Note that the analysis intends to be "univocal" in the sense that
it is trained strictly and exclusively on the competence or discourse
delineated within that specific analysis. T analyses are of most worth when they
identify a discourse that has no reasonable alternative to it. The
identification of the presuppositions of that discourse are thus "inescapable"
in that participation in that practice necessarily presupposes the conditions
identified and that practice is an essential element of a form of life we
cannot but accept as necessary for purposes of socialization/personality
development, social order/cohesion and cultural integration. As in, for
example, Habermas's T'l-pragmatic analysis of "discourse" as a reflective form
of communicative action.)

Though I'm wary of putting it like this, T analysis is a form of
philosophical "anthropology" in that it reconstructs essential features of
practices that are constitutive, and not simply regulative, of the human mode
of being-in-the-world, to adopt Heidegger's lexicon temporarily. (He, too, was
a T'l philosopher, offering a "phenomenological ontology" of the human
condition in his writings up to about 1947. After that, he turned poetic and
unintelligible, though David R and the Skipper may beg to disagree. Heidegger
may well have fallen in love with a bright, young lady interested in Kant's
political writings. (So many fine philosophers have bitten the dust in similar
fashion ...)

ED:
> I skip over Walter's contrasts with Kant, other than to ask for (preferably)
> a sketch or alternatively a reference explaining why we all know Kant's
> 'project' failed.  I don't quite see that it failed, though I certainly don't
> think everything the man wrote limned the nature of reality either.

----> Eric is here being unduly coy and ironic with us since, of course, the
Master said nothing about "the nature of reality" as an object of
correspondence independent of the categories of underrtanding and the intuitions
of our faculty of sensibility. He simply claimed that there is no possibility of
any
kind of "reality" independent of, ultimately, the transcendental synthetic
unity of apperception. Part of that claim involved the view that the delineated
intuitive forms of space and time are necessary and universal for any possible
form of (objects of) human experience. That was a mistaken claim. But, hey,
part marks for enthusiasm! Needless to say, (what an odd expression!) Kant's
analyses of the possibilities and limits
of moral experience and judgement remain mostly untouched by these
epistemological flights of fancy in the CPR. Philosophers chasing after his
ruminations include Thomas Scanlon, Ronald Dworkin, Jurgen Habermas, John
Rawls, Christine Korsgaard, Onora O'Neil, Barbara Herman and Walter Okshevsky.
(Surely a tad of self-aggrandizement is mortally permissible just before
Christams!)

> Walter walks through an example:
>
> > -----> ...Take "argumentation" (P). A T analysis of
> > argumentation has the following premises:
> >
> > P1: If P is to be possible, it must satisfy conditions x, y, and z. (The
> latter
> > are the posited conditions necessary for the possibility of P. These
> conditions
> > are "internal" to P - they are not empirical conditions which, as
> empirical,
> > would be external to, contingent to, and independent of P. Hence, we are
> not
> > dealing with causal conditions. X, y, and z are thus hypothesized to be
> > necessary conceptual presuppositions of P. Note that T claims and arguments
> are
> > fallible.)
> >
> > P2: P is actual. (People actually do engage in argumentation; argumentation
> is
> > a public, social practice.)
> >
> > C: Therefore, x, y and z constitute necessary conditions for the
> possibility of
> > P.
> >
> > This is the form of a T argument. Subsequent argument attempts to provide
> > warrant for the premises. Another example, this time from Heidegger (HIM
> again):
> > "Only agents are able to make causal claims, since such claims presuppose
> an
> > understanding of counterfactual conditionals that only a being in the mode
> of
> > human being could comprehend.)

---------> Oh dear, I see that I had committed an enthymeme above. Missing
premise: "All rational human beings are agents." Five Hail Marys. (No, no
whippings.)

ED:

> I think I take the general point here, though I am skeptical that Walter's
> argument template is sound as it stands.
>
> The crux, as it seems to me, is in the premise and I'm also not sure I
> understand the premise fully, so what follows may be off base, in which case
> I would appreciate a clarification about the premise (with thanks to Donal
> for his clarification about my over-hasty modal logic).
>
> The premise is that x, y and z are necessary conditions (and perforce (per
> Walter) therefore not empirical conditions) for the phenomenon P.  If I
> understand it, the transcendental argument is that given that P is real, x, y
> and z must really be the necessary conditions for the possibility of P (this
> is the move I don't think is quite correct or clear as Walter has laid it
> out), which then, it would seem, encourages the further exploration of x, y
> and z irrespective of what might otherwise appear as their empirical heft.

-----> Examples may help. I stay with the customary ones in the W history of
thediscipline. Aristotle's claim that we cannot "deliberate" about just
anything
is a conceptual claim, not an empirical claim. Its truth does not hinge upon
the existence of tribes that claim they can deliberate about anything they damn
well please. Kant's claim that moral experience, judgement and principles are
possible only under the presupposition of an autonomous will/faculty of pure
practical reason is not an empirical claim. It is not falsified by tribes who
believe that their moral claims are the direct emanations of the gods.
Habermas's T'l reconstruction of the universal and necessary conditions of
discourse is not falsified by the ethnographic discovery of a tribe in China
speaking a language which does not mark the difference between "belief" and
"knowledge".

Must run for now. You can't keep salmon in the stove too long, y'know - even
with its accompaniments of lemon, dill and ???. (That being only an empirical
claim, natuerlich. T claims regarding the preparation of salmon must await our
evolution beyond our extant carbon life form into a silicone life form.)

Walter O
MUN

ED: