[lit-ideas] Re: What Did You Do When America Was Attacked?

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:11:51 -0600

Actually I was asking what it is you think I was trying to do but failed at. I thought Hewitt's comments were provocative and believe it is a fascinating question. At least for our Presidents we tend to like certain things (they are men, clean shaven, married, etc.) and the country honors those leaders that served in the military. I think he overstates it when he says it will be "very, very difficult" for non-military politicians in twenty years but I do think the question will come up.

So are you under the impression I was trying to convert people here to Hewitt's way of thinking and failed?

~Brian

PS In the interest of full disclosure I support the military and esteem those that serve, though I have not served. From my great- grandfather to my grandfather to my own father there was an unbroken chain of service across several branches of the armed forces and they served this country honorably. Hewitt's position is no more negated by his lack of service than those that said to abolitionists "don't like slavery? Don't own one." Arguments don't have genders or colors or records of service.

On Dec 19, 2006, at 8:19 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

Or were you asking why I would use that expression? Just trying to take the sting out of rejection.