[lit-ideas] Re: WTO and War

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 01:20:44 -0500

Lawrence: Why do you say I’m from the far right? Believing in National Defense doesn’t put me on the far right.

That's just the way Andreas thinks. I have to attribute it to his personal experience and life situation, and move on.

I have several friends who HAVE to hate Bush--not merely strongly disagree with individual policies, but actively hate Bush--and anything else is apostasy, is tergiversation, is personal betrayal. That's how they think. I can speculate as to whether it's father issues, or their image of themselves, or something in their personal life that makes this particular Republican into the Father of All Lies. It doesn't matter. As long as I don't press their "Bush" button, these friends are charming, lovable, and devoted. When the "Bush" button is on, their postures change, their speech patterns change, and one either shares their hate or is pariah, the "rightwing fanatic" tattoo slowly healing on one's bicep.

From my perspective, I'm more of a Scoop Jackson Democrat. I admire FDR. I think national defense takes many forms and some of it is military and should be used. I believe we sometimes have to bring the hammer down. But in the presence of my Mandatory Bush Hating friends, I am often silent, because if I stand up for classic New Deal values, they will burn that "rightwing fanatic" tattoo on my arm. And that may explain in part why so many complain that the Democrats have no real ideas to offer--many are sitting on the sidelines trying to remove their tattoos.